Sunday, May 6, 2007

Picture Perfect

I am cobbling together a few raft posts that have not seen the light of day. Evidence of a long week at work, and too nice weather outside to sit and compose anything of meaning.

Last weekend was beautiful weather, and a great kickoff to spring. We had a successful yard sale and then spent Sunday checking out the Arnold Arboretum. Aside from being one of my favorite places to spend time (running, walking, whatever) in Boston, it was about time for the lilacs to bloom. When we lived in JP, we would smell them blooming from our home, and it was extraordinary. Now we have to drive 60 miles to get there, but still, it's worth it.

As we parked, we noticed a small herd of greyhounds - and their associated people - gathering. Turns out there is a group of greyhound people that gather each weekend in a different spot to walk their dogs. Last Sunday was the Arb. I am estimating 40 dogs in that little gathering, some of which are pictured here.

Aside from the greyhounds, there was an encyclopedia of others, frommutts (or boulevard terriers, as my mother in law would call them), to purebreds. All of them looking mighty happy to be out and about.

One of my favorites was a semi-shaved poolie. A very happy go lucky personality, greeting anyone it could.


While the lilacs weren't quite busting yet, there were some that were bloomed. And there was plenty of other fantastic foliage to check out. Some of my pics from the day are below.









I'm ready to go back!

In running news, I've been happily hitting the trails and the pavement around the ManchVegas. Yesterday I set the Nike+ attachment for a 10k, and set off. As I was coming towards the end, I realized I was possibly going to make a personal best. Missed it by three seconds - dang! Next weekend I'll head out again, with the PR in mind from the start.

This Wednesday I have a 5k race. I told one of my friends that I was going to go for a sub-30 time, and her advice was "just go for pain. It won't last long." It was delivered half jokingly, but the other half was dead serious. I am not sure I am cut out for racing... I guess if I was, I would be going for a sub-20 time. :)

No comments: